Saturday, July 9, 2011

Figs.


Last weekend I found an old copy of Natural Health magazine in my bookcase. After leafing through the pages I discovered an article entitled: The Spices of Life - healing spices known for anti-inflammatory abilities. Included in the article were a series of recipes, one in particular - an enticing low calorie recipe for roasted figs with cinnamon. I dogeared the page for the day that I could get some figs to try it out. Luckily I did not have to wait long! My Creative Director brought in some figs yesterday fresh from the fig tree at her house. Thanks Michelle!

So first chance I got this morning I went to the grocery store to pick up the remaining essential ingredients I needed and came back to try out this new recipe! I decided to snap a few photos while preparing the figs to share with you all. I also altered the recipe so that the end result would be more of a fig preserve that way with my busy schedule, I would be able to have quick multiple uses for the roasted figs. My recipe alterations will be in italics. If you want to stick directly with the recipe, ignore the notes in italic.

Roasted Figs with Cinnamon
healing spice: cinnamon

Serves: 6
Prep time: 10 minutes (more if reconstituting dried figs)
Cook time: 25 minutes

  • 16 figs, stems trimmed and small x's cut into the bottoms
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted 
  • 3 Tbsp Honey
  • 1 Tbsp fresh-squeezed orange juice
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp fresh, finely chopped thyme
  • 2 Tbsp walnuts, chopped
  • Zest 1 orange
Note - I used slightly different, low calorie ingredients within this recipe as you will see. I used Brummel & Browns Yogurt Spread instead of butter. I also used sugar-free honey, an Omega infused orange juice. I completely skipped the thyme since I realized I was out of thyme (ha) after the grocery run. I also skipped the zest of orange since that is merely for garnishing purposes.

1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF. In a baking dish, stand 12 figs on their bottoms. (press down if needed to keep them from wobbling). Brush each with melted butter and roast for about 20 minutes, until figs are tender.   Note: I did not reserve any figs. I roasted all of my figs first.

I halved my figs after roasting. At this point, the figs will be quite mushy/sticky.

2. In a food processor, puree´ the remaining figs. (again, after roasting I pureéd all the figs).
 Filling up the food processor with the halved roasted figs.


At this point I also added the walnuts in the pureé. I don't care for chunky nutty bits being in a preserve. The recipe calls for adding the walnuts at the final process upon serving. But again, for the quick multi-purpose use I am going for, adding the walnuts at this step seemed more practical.

In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine the pureéd figs with the honey

add the orange juice

and cinnamon 

and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
(Add a little water if the mixture is too thick to stir - aim for a syrup-like consistency.) Note: I am making a preserve with mine so in my photos its going to be thick.

3. Remove figs from the oven, pour sauce over them, sprinkle with chopped thyme, and return to the oven to roast another 5 minutes. Serve immediately garnished with walnuts and orange zest.

I spread my roasted cinnamon figs on warm potato toast.

Needless to say, it was delicious!

Per serving: 184 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated), 2g protein, 36g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 2mg sodium.

My version actually came out to be a little less in calories. yay!
Per serving: 150 calories, 4g fat, 2g protein, 32g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 2mg sodium.

I am looking forward to having this - not only with low calorie breads, but also mixed in with my Kashi granola and also served over vanilla frozen yogurt as a savory sweet treat!

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do and please do share any photos and comments of your batch!

No comments:

Post a Comment